15U (YOUTH) PHILOSOPHY AND FORMAT
For Players Ages: Born in 2006 & 2007 for the 2021 season.
The 15U Division has been established to promote a fun and positive experience with the sport of lacrosse. Youth age athletes use the following format:
We play all players as equally as possible with the goal of teaching the sport and providing a fun experience for all involved.
All activities are structured using Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) principles. We emphasize fun, positive sportsmanship, and an active environment.
A 1.5-hour skill assessment session will be held in April. A player draft will be conducted and parents contacted about team placement before the season begins.
Practices are coordinated by each team coach and occur one evening per week. Practices are focused on skill development.
Coaching is done by players from the 19U Elite Lacrosse Program. These are elite athletes of high school age and are very knowledgable about the game.
The season runs through the months of May and June. We want to build a love and respect for the sport of lacrosse.
15U games are played using a “limited contact, within 9 feet of the ball” version of field lacrosse.
- The 15U age division plays the regulation 10’s game
- 10 Players – two attack, two midfielders, two defensemen, and one goaltender are on the field at one time.
- Most athletes involved at this age level have specialized in a position (attack, midfield, defense, and a goaltender) and tend to stay in that area of play.
- Game is played on the full-sized Men’s lacrosse field, a 60 X 110-yard area.
- The object of the game is to score more goals than the opposing team through strategy, ball control, and team play.
- The offensive skills required to perform this task involve passing, catching, carrying the ball under control (cradling), and shooting. Defensive skills involve basic positioning, footwork and stick checking (poke checking).
Players receive as part of their registration fees:
- A coupon book, which includes a coupon for Al Anderson’s Source for Sports. This coupon will provide a significant discount should you need to purchase any lacrosse equipment.
For this age division: Hockey equipment is acceptable for the requirements identified below:
- Lacrosse Stick
- Practice/Game Jersey – Provided by the SFLA and must be returned on the last game of the season.
- Black SFLA shorts- can be purchased when registering.
- Helmet with a face mask
- Mouthguard (mandatory)
- Shoulder pads
- Elbow pads
- Protective Gloves
- Can or Jill Cup
- Cleats – Rubber cleats only
- Shorts and socks
- Jerseys for the player skill evaluation day are the player’s responsibility.
- All goaltender equipment is provided by the league. However, players are encouraged to bring their own shin pads and hockey pants to play goaltender as we have a limited size selection.
- Review the “Role of Parents” section of this website.
- Cheer and provide positive support.
- Volunteer to:
- Be a team manager/bench coordinator
- Time and score keep during games.