8U (MINI-TYKE) PHILOSOPHY AND FORMAT
For Players Ages: Born in 2014 and 2015 for the 2021 season.
The 8U Division has been established to promote a fun and positive experience with the sport of lacrosse. 8U age athletes use the following format:
- We play all players as equally as possible with the goal of teaching the sport and providing a fun experience for all involved.
- All activities are structured using Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) principles.
- We emphasize fun, positive sportsmanship, and an active environment.
- Games are played to foster fun, fitness and skill development.
- Modified games will be played with a set “shift” length and will not use goaltenders.
- We will be playing a 3 on 3 version of lacrosse, very short games, and multiple games each night (once we start playing games).
- Teams or “groups” are created to suit various activities or games.
- We do not keep standings, league championship or playoffs. We want to build a love and respect for the sport of lacrosse.
First-year 8U players receive as part of their registration fees:
- Practice/Game T-shirt to keep
- A coupon book, which includes a coupon for Al Anderson’s Source for Sports. This coupon will provide a significant discount should you need to purchase any lacrosse equipment.
For this age division: Hockey equipment is acceptable for the requirements identified below:
- Lacrosse Stick
- Practice/Game Jersey – Provided as part of the registration fee.
- Helmet with a face mask
- Mouthguard (mandatory)
- Shoulder pads
- Elbow pads
- Protective Gloves (We recommend that this be the first lacrosse specific piece of protective equipment you provide for the player.)
- Can or Jill Cup
- Proper footwear for activities on the grass
- Shorts and socks – Shorts provided as part of the registration fee.
Please see parent responsibilities for the 8U Division listed below:
- Review the “Role of Parents” section of this website
- Cheer and provide positive support.
Volunteer to be parent helper during games:
- Timekeeping for shifts.
- Assisting Coaches with organizing players on sidelines.